8, Artemidos Str., Maroussi, GR-151 25 Athens, Greece
MYTILINEOS: Sustainable Development Report 2019
Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development Initiatives
MYTILINEOS pursues its growth in an economic and social environment fraught with challenges, remaining steadfast to sound and sustainable business that will generate added value for all stakeholders, contributing to a better future for the country.
This effort is depicted in the Sustainable Development Report 2019*, published during the Company’s Annual General Shareholders Meeting. This is the 12th consecutive Non-Financial Data Report publication focusing on analyzing the way MYTILINEOS handles any Material issue, upon exercising its activity, both for its social partners groups as well as for Sustainable Development, presenting at the same time its performance in Environmental, Social and Governance issues (ESG).
MYTILINEOS, acknowledging the need of investors for more thorough information on the integration of Non-Financial data in the process of their investment decisions, introduced specific innovations in the 2019 Report highlighting its staunch contribution to the effort of attaining long-term sustainable financial performance:
✓ The introduction of a new section entitled ‘ESG Performance Statement’ focusing both on the Company’s basic commitments for the upcoming years as well as on its performance in key non-financial issues, being of interest to shareholders and investors in terms of the potential impact on its financial results.
✓ The 1st MYTILINEOS contribution report (2015-2019) to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (Agenda 2030) with specific measurable data.
✓ The results from the Company’s alignment with the new Athens Stock Exchange ESG - 2019 Reporting Guide during its first year of application.
*The Sustainable Development Report 2019 of MYTILINEOS was drawn up, pursuant to the Greek legislation and the European directives, the GRI Standards, the 10 principles of UN Global Compact and the principles of the International Standard ISO 2600. Moreover, it has been audited and certified by an independent auditor (Ernst & Young (HELLAS), in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) 3000 and the specifications of Type 2 assurance project, as such are defined by the International Standard AA1000AS.
MYTILINEOS 2019 Sustainable Development Report highlights:
- The distribution of economic value standing at €1.2 bn. (Investments, employees’ remuneration, taxes, expenses towards domestic suppliers, payment to capital providers, social & environmental investments)
- Any further increase of the total employment (direct & indirect) by 8.3%, and creation of 281 new jobs in all areas where it operates.
- MYTILINEOS joined for the first time the investment index of sustainable development FTSE4Good (Emerging Index) after a relevant independent evaluation by the FTSE International Organization and in recognition of its longstanding commitment to sustainable development.
- The participation of MYTILINEOS Metallurgy Business Unit in the global Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) that aligns the aluminium companies to the direction of sustainable development and responsible production.
- The decrease of accidents’ number and of the lost time injury frequency rate within direct employment by 80% and 84% respectively.
- The completion of one-year operation without accident in the Metallurgy business unit.
- Further strengthening of R&D practices in the Metallurgy business unit with total investments at EUR 1.5mn in pilot plants equipment in the aluminium plant, being expected to operate within 2020 aimed at a holistic utilization of bauxite residues.
- The increase by 36.2%, compared to 2018, of the clean energy production (RES), on the Company's total energy production.
- The decrease by 25.3% of total pumping of drinking water from a public enterprise (almost 25,000 cubic meters less than 2018).
- The reduction by 7.5% of solid waste total quantity.
- The implementation and support of 20 basic social programs and initiatives investing more than €3.4 mn. for the benefit of more than 30,000 thousand citizens.
- The voluntary adoption of the UK Corporate Governance Code, covering 60% of the relevant requirements during the first year of integration.
During the drafting period of the Sustainable Development Report 2019, the COVID-19 pandemic crisis changed everyone’s daily life, affecting society and the global economy in an unprecedented way. MYTILINEOS took early steps to safeguard the safety of all its employees and associates, maintaining its business activities unaffected and all its plants in operation. The Company, acknowledging this is an all-affecting factor pervading all human, social and business activities, impacting on both the national and global economy, stays on constant alert to respond effectively to this challenge as well.
The ‘Sustainable Development Report 2019’ is available on the following address https://www.mytilineos.gr/en-us/csr-reports/publications while through the application ‘Integrated Value Creation Scorecard 2019’ a comprehensive outlook is presented on the way MYTILINEOS creates added value for all its Social partners groups and on its contribution to Sustainable Development.
MYTILINEOS S.A. is a leading Greek industry active in Metallurgy, Power & Gas and EPC & Infrastructure. Established in Greece in 1990, the company is listed on the Athens Exchange, has a consolidated turnover of €2.3 billion and employs directly or indirectly more than 3,600 people in Greece and abroad.