Pediatric Trauma Care (PTC)
Member: NGO Premium
Gytheiou Street 1A, GR-152 31 Halandri, Athens, Greece
"PEDIATRIC TRAUMA CARE"
Pedtrauma is a non-profit, non-governmental organization which was founded in November 1995 in Athens by a small number of doctors and parents. Its sole purpose is to raise awareness on children's accidents in Greece, reduce their number and severity and to improve care once an accident has occurred.
From 2010 up to the present date over 480.000 children have benefited from our Charity.
Statistics show that up to 500,000 children are injured every year through car accidents, falls, burns, drowning, electrocution and poisoning. About 700 accidents are fatal and 3.000 end in permanent disability. In a country with a population of roughly 10.5 million people this number is huge.
"Pedtrauma" is making a great effort to change the above statistics through the implementation of the following:
a) By opening Trauma Centers in all the major Public Children’s Hospitals in Athens and throughout Greece.
b) By upgrading and equipping the Pediatric Departments and Clinics of the Hospitals and the Health Centers with the necessary machinery.
c) By financing seminars where specialized doctors train surgeons, doctors, nurses, and Ambulance Paramedics on how to help the injured children the fastest and best way possible. We have already managed to train 1.534 doctors, nurses, and Ambulance Paramedics.
d) By educating children on trauma prevention. In particular, we visit schools and talk to children, teachers and parents on how to prevent accidents from happening. To date we have spoken to 43.895 children and 3.060 teachers and parents. It has been statistically proven that by introducing Trauma Prevention into schools the number and severity of accidents occurring has been reduced by up to 50%.
More specifically we have managed to upgrade and equip 45 Departments in 39 Hospitals / Trauma Centers:
• Trauma Centers : We have built and equipped 20 Trauma Centers in the following Hospitals:
- "Paidon Pentelis", thanks to the sponsorship of John V. Vardinogiannis (year: 2011).
- "Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriakou", thanks to the "Stavros Niarchos" Foundation (year: 2012).
- ''Ippocration'' Thessaloniki's General Hospital, thanks to ‘’OTE-COSMOTE’’ (year: 2014).
- The University Hospital "PAGNI" in Irakleion, Crete, thanks to the Companies ‘’Norton Rose Fulbright Greece’’, ‘’Hellenic Petroleum’’ and an Anonymous donor (year: 2014).
- The ‘’University Hospital Evrou’’ in Alexandroupolis, thanks to the ‘’John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation’’ (year: 2014).
- The ‘’Andreas Papandreou’’ General Hospital in Rhodes, thanks to the Companies ‘’Hellenic Petroleum’’, ‘’Norton Rose Fulbright Greece’’ and ‘’John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation’’ (year: 2015).
- The ‘’Axillopouleio’’ General Hospital in Volos, thanks to the Company ‘’Norton Rose Fulbright Greece’’ (year: 2016).
- The General Hospital of Lamia thanks, to the Family George Giouroukou (year: 2016).
- The ‘’Karamandaneio’’ General Hospital in Patras, thanks to the ‘’OTE Group of Companies’’ (year: 2016).
- The University General Hospital of Larissa, thanks to the ‘’OTE Group of Companies’’ (year: 2016).
- The ‘’Vostanio’’ General Hospital in Mytilini (year: 2016).
- The Corfu General Hospital, thanks to the hotel MarBella Corfu (year: 2016).
- The General Hospital of Karpenisi, thanks to the ‘’OTE Group’’ (year: 2017).
- The General Hospital of Chalkidiki, thanks to Sani Resort & Ikos Resorts (year: 2017).
- The ’Andreas Papandreou’’ General Hospital of Pyrgos, thanks to the Company ‘’Norton Rose Fulbright Greece’’ (year: 2017).
- The General Hospital of Livadeia, thanks to the Company MYTILINEOS S.A. (year: 2018).
- The General Hospital of Larissa, thanks to the “Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care”, MYTILINEOS S.A., PAPAPOSTOLOU N. S.A., DRAEGER HELLAS, SIGMA MEDICAL, KOTSOVOLOS and the “Théâtre Grec de Genève”. (year: 2018).
- The University General Hospital ''ATTIKON'', thanks to the “OTE Group of Companies” (year : 2018).
- The General Hospital of Karditsa, thanks to ‘’VISA’’ (year: 2018).
- The General Hospital of Trikala, thanks to ‘’VISA’’ (year: 2018).
• Pediatric Departments: We have upgraded 17.
• Pediatric Clinics: We have upgraded 5.
• Intensive Care Units / Neonatal Units Level II: We have upgraded 3.
• We have offered 714 machines and equipment to the Hospitals’ Pediatric Departments.
The total cost of our project from 2010 up to the present date comes to € 1.903.432.
Our future goals are the following:
- To create Trauma Centers and to equip the Health Centers at:
1) General Hospital of Tripolis
2) General Hospital of Kefalonia
3) General Hospital of Filiates (Igoumenitsa) (covered)
4) General Hospital of Rethymno (covered)
5) Health Center of Paxoi (covered)
6) General Hospital of Chania “St. George” (covered)
- To finance the seminars where specialized doctors train surgeons, doctors, nurses, and Ambulance Paramedics on how to help the injured children the fastest and best way possible.
- To continue educating children, parents and teachers on trauma prevention.
If you wish to join or support our project by making a donation, please contact us at the numbers 210 - 6741933 & 210 - 6740118 or by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our work seems to be growing daily as more and more Hospitals request our help. The situation in the Greek Pediatric Hospitals, though better than a few years ago, is still pretty dire.
Board of Directors:
Natasha Clive-Vrecossis, President
Michalis Sarris, MD (Pediatrician-neonatologist), Vice President
Maria Sofianopoulou, General Secretary
Olympia Pliatsikouri, Treasurer
George-Ippokratis Klimis, Member
Professor George Chroussos, Pediatric Surgeon (Director of 1st Pediatric Clinic of Athens University Hospital “Aghia Sophia”),
Professor Panagiotis Spiridis (Director of the Pediatric Medical Center in Maroussi)
Dr. George Briassoulis, Associate Professor School of Health Sciences, University of Crete (Director of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in the ‘’PAGNI’’ University General Hospital of Irakleion)
Assistant Professor Athanasios Kaditis, (Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology in the 1st Pediatric Clinic of Athens University Hospital “Aghia Sophia”)
Assistant Professor Panagiotis Agouridakis (Director of the Trauma Center in the ‘’PAGNI’’ University General Hospital of Irakleion)
Mr. Constantinos Velaoras, MD (Pediatric Surgeon in Pentelis Children's Hospital),
Mr. George Spyridis, MD (Pediatric Surgeon in "Aglaia Kyriakou" Children's Hospital),
Mrs. Aristea Patsoura, MD (PICU Consultant in "Aglaia Kyriakou" Children's Hospital)
Mr. Dimitrios Pyrros, MD (Director of the Ambulance Medical Services, ‘’EKAV’’)
Mr. George Triantos, MD, PhD, Surgeon Director Coordinator Director of Emergency Department, General Hospital Rhodes
Mrs. Maria Pavlidou, (Director of the Pediatric Department at Karpenisi General Hospital)
Mrs Despoina Iordanidou, (Paediatric Anesthetist Consultant G.H. Thessaloniki Hippokrateio Senior Instructor- Course Director of Advanced Paediatric Life Support Course (APLS) of Northern Greece.